Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

DC Adventures! (7.24.11)

     Happy birthday to my smoking hot mom and William!!  Both birthdays are 'milestone' birthdays-- William is 21, Mama is 40! ;) Ok, Mama may not really be 40, but she might as well be!  I hate that I was not able to spend this special day with them in Arkansas, but I did get to see them this week, so I am thankful for that.
     Lauren and I just got home from a new friend's house in Arlington.  They cooked out!  We had fun explaining to our northern buddies all the goodness that is produced by the south and/or Arkansas.  This includes but is not limited to: tradition, rice, the SEC, southern girls, being polite, and mosquitos.  We forgot about Wal-Mart and sweet tea, but those are soon to come in conversation, I'm sure.  Good fellowship is always refreshing. 
     I feel like today was the perfect balance of rest and fun.  We slept, went to the Newseum, and a local happy hour near the Capitol.  Also, our AC got fixed! It was broken when we got back from Arkansas yesterday, and we were hoping it would fix by the time we got in from our Saturday night outing, but no such luck.  I called the emergency repair number, but she was absolutely no help, claiming my delimma was not considered an emergency.  I told her I could pass out from a heat stroke, but she didn't seem to care, because she hung up on me-- rude.  After this, I sat in the hallway, trying to find a number or something online that would be helpful.  Instead, some friendly (and intoxicated) interns came along and offered to help, as one of them had also had this same problem earlier.  While that intern tried to help me fix the unit, the other stood behind us, playing a ukelele (or something?), and singing "Better Together" and "I'm Yours."  He was actually pretty good!  Even though we couldn't fix the air, they made my night much more manageable.
     Back to today... The Newseum was super neat.  This museum is one of the many DC museums, focusing on media and journalism, and their extremely important roles within our society.  Throughout the museum, they had specialized areas such as 9/11 and Katrina.  They also had featured front pages from different states and countries, so it was really cool to see the Democrat-Gazette and those featured pages on certain issues.  Out in front of the museum, they have every day's front page from every major state newspaper posted in a designated case.  How smart!?  That is a great way to get people inside! 
     It's still tough to grasp Uncle Stanley not being here.  Dad gave me an encouraging way of looking at it though...  It's like when you pick flowers from a garden,  You always pick the biggest, prettiest ones.  Stanley Reed was too legit for this place.  It makes my heart happy to know he is celebrating in Heaven.  I just wish people would realize how fragile life is.  Every single day has unparalleled potential to be great, and for us to do great things.  Never leave a conversation angry, and like Anna said, hug so hard it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment