Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

(7.19.11)

     John 11:25 reads, "Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.""  This verse has given me much comfort over the past few days.
     My last blog ended talking about my upcoming trip to Boston the next day, but that trip didn't exactly go as planned.  As Lauren and I sat in our own bus seats riding from the Boston airport to Cape Cod, we received a phone call informing us of the passing of a beloved family friend, Stanley Reed, aka Uncle Stanley.  The news was hard to take; I was in a constant state of disbelief.  How could this happen?  Uncle Stanley wasn't even 60 years old-- much too young to pass away.  He had been driving from Augusta when he veered off the highway and struck a tree about 300 feet away with no attempt to correct his vehicle to get back on the road.  Everyone is sure that he suffered a heart attack.  Dad said the Lord must have taken him instantly. 
     Needless to say, the last few days have been a struggle for everyone.  Mama has been at Ms. Charlene's side nonstop in efforts to keep her company and lend a helping hand wherever she can.  Lauren and I came home from DC today.  Dad picked us up and we had a really good, encouraging talk on the way home.  He said the Reed's were handling everything incredibly well, and after I visited the family today, I could see that Dad was right.  Dad had Uncle Stanley's bible in his backseat. I picked it up and flipped through it.  Naturally, it was worn, and I started to cry as I thought about the many times I had seen Uncle Stanley open this book in church every Sunday.
     I've been thinking about the things I learned from this man, who I consider to be my godfather, and the list is endless.  Among that list is the importance of God, family, hard work, and the proper duck call.  Uncle Stanley was a leader, never afraid to do what was right.  When I was younger, he brought an African American couple to our church, hoping to show them the welcome that Jesus shows.  Throughout my life, there are countless memories of Uncle Stanley demonstrating humility, always trying to help others out.  Through that, others would follow, making a ripple effect within our small community, as well as on state and national levels.
     One of my favorite memories of Uncle Stanley was when I was about 8 years old.  My sister and I were spending the night with the Reed's for whatever reason, and it was bedtime.  Lauren and I crawled in bed, and Uncle Stanley and Aunt Charlene came into the room to tuck us in.  Uncle Stanley led us in prayer, and for the first time (outside of my father's examples), I saw characteristics of the man I hope to marry some day.
     I know right now this situation is tough because from a selfish standpoint, we want Stanley Reed to be here on earth with us,  but this is the way I see it... Uncle Stanley was such a fruitful man that he finished his harvest early-- getting his heavenly reward early (as Mama says).  My hope and prayer is that God will pull the Reed's close, giving them peace, and that Uncle Stanley's legacy will inspire many people for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment